Referral to Weight Watchers or Slimming World
Hertfordshire County Council are piloting an on referral scheme to offer a FREE 12 week subscription to either Slimming World or Weight Watchers for Hertfordshire patients who are registered to a GP practice in the county and who meet the criteria below.
- 16 years and above
- Body Mass Index (BMI) >30
- BMI > 28 with co – morbidities (e.g. high blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis etc)
- BMI >27.5kg/m2 of South Asian Origin with or without co-morbidities
- Motivated to lose weight
- Able to attend weekly support meetings for 12 weeks
- Pregnant women
- Currently have an eating disorder
- Attended Weight Watchers / Slimming World or a similar commercial weight management programme in previous 3 months
- Previously referred, re-referral is not permitted or funded
Free places will be allocated on a first come first served basis. We are taking referrals from a number of sources including the Stop Smoking Service and will be accepting referrals from GPs, Practice Nurses and Healthcare Assistants. The referral process is extremely quick and easy for healthcare professionals who wish to refer patients to the service and the forms to do this are attached to this email.
We hope the pilot is successful in terms of number service users and the weight loss outcomes they achieve. As part of the pilot evaluation we will be looking at the outcome data and this will inform our ongoing commissioning plans in this area. We do not know what demand will be for this service so I stress that places are strictly on a first come first served basis.
Health Improvement Advanced Practitioner
Public Health, Hertfordshire County Council